Three million and counting. Three million is a number so easy to discard because there’s no emotion, no connection. So instead think of it this way.
You see her. Skin as numb as ice, too blue to shiver, too weak to scream. The sun rises then fades. Every taste, every smell, every sound is despair. And terror. You can see it in those pure and innocent eyes. So much pain for a bundle so young. As you approach her, she reaches out to you and whispers, do you have my brothers, do you have my mother? Her soul is begging for you to hold her close and never let go. Erase the heart ache killing her, every day. But you won’t touch her, you’re just passing by.
And then she holds her stomach and scrunches her eyes. The hunger fades after a couple of hours. The children are now staring at you. They want to know if you’re the saviour they’ve been praying for. You turn your head away, you’re just passing through this town. You have nothing for them.
As you walk through you hear mother’s weeping, clinging to children too weak to hold their own heads. Father’s begging, arms outstretched, screaming out for something, anything, take their lives instead. You see aid workers, digging, digging, desperately trying to find something, anything to help. But when they turn to you, you hold your belongings close to your chest and shake your head. You have nothing for them, you’re just passing by.
The final mile.
The lights have faded.
There’s nothing but a black sky.
A child clings to your legs and begs and begs, don’t leave me please, I’m afraid so afraid.
You shake him off.
You’re just passing by.
As you reach the gate, you feel as though something’s not right.
You turn around.
And watch the children embracing death as if blind,
You look down at the pile in your arms and gasp as you finally realize,
You stole all the hope from those innocent eyes,
It’s too late to run back.
You’ve passed by.
Don’t be a passer by. Do something. It doesn’t matter how little that donation may be.
41 Notes/ Hide
- livldn likes this
- joshuajasper reblogged this from havemercy-hs
- havemercy-hs reblogged this from havemercy-hs
- theshellsshesells reblogged this from havemercy-hs
- stopstealingmyheartawaay likes this
- sunshineinmyis likes this
- lovelyambitiousoul likes this
- msherrybaby12 likes this
- daydreamsonlooseleafpaper likes this
- sammi-sauce likes this
- annehathanowayy likes this
- sofuckenwhat likes this
- re-trouvaille likes this
- casual-abnormal likes this
- onthisavenue likes this
- formulafun reblogged this from havemercy-hs
- formulafun likes this
- siyofueracomotu likes this
- mayflyexpectations likes this
- wetbible likes this
- bittersweetobsession likes this
- lolaaabunny likes this
- s0n9s likes this
- theshellsshesells likes this
- shades-of-words likes this
- silverscorpio17 likes this
- kingsxqueens likes this
- kingsxqueens reblogged this from havemercy-hs
- s-h-o-o-t-f-o-r-t-h-e-m-o-o-n likes this
- s-h-o-o-t-f-o-r-t-h-e-m-o-o-n reblogged this from havemercy-hs
- microbrien likes this
- orangencrimson reblogged this from havemercy-hs
- silvercoiness reblogged this from havemercy-hs and added:
- silvercoiness likes this
- 365wonder likes this
- fforyouu likes this
- thiswaytobliss likes this
- This was featured in #Prose
- doormadz reblogged this from havemercy-hs